Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ahhhhhhh Sunday.

Ahhhh Sunday. I am trying to make Sunday a different day of the week. I have wanted to keep the Sabbath for a long time know, but didn't really know how being that I'm Mom and my work never ends. Other than going to church, and taking a nap, I couldn't really fathom what a day of rest would be. But I'm starting to understand.

Today, I didn't worry about the house very much. Things were left out and undone, but it was totally okay, I had better things to do. My aim was to rest, to take a break from the ordinary. Sewing is something that I love to do, so I sewed a little. I watched the boys swim and embroidered, I don't do much of that anymore. I also had a long phone conversation with an old friend that I had lost touch with, how nice to hear her voice again!

I still had to run to the grocery store, my pizza dough was awfully hard and I needed to do something else for dinner. I still cooked dinner and even did a little laundry, but on the whole this day was set apart to rest and do what was relaxing to me. I totally get now why God would have us rest. We need a break, for our bodies and our minds. We need a guiltless bread. Hmmmm........makes me think of my little 6 year old boy, who gets really moody, demanding and cries when he is tiered and needs to take a break and rest. I command him to rest. I know what is best for him even when he can't see that he is worn out and having a break down. Out of love, I make him rest. He doesn't want to, it must feel like punishment to him, but it is really an act of love and wisdom.

God knows what we need. Let me encourage you to find a way to make Sunday a restful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment